[erlang-questions] gethostbyname always timeout

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Wed Aug 19 11:30:56 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM, info <info@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
> on my machine with windows 2003 server, the function
> inet:gethostbyname("www.erlang.org", inet) returns always {error,timeout}
>
> why ?

I recently had some bizarre issues with hostname lookups under Windows
Server 2003. The inet_gethost.exe program was the culprit for me.

For a vanilla Windows Server2003 build everything worked fine. But because I
was sitting behind a proxy, I needed to use the Firewall Client for ISA to
get to the outside world. And as soon as I installed that, the
inet_gethost.exe call to gethostbyname() C system function never returned.

Very odd, since a small program that uses that call worked fine. I never got
to the bottom of it.

Robby