[erlang-questions] SMP performance with hackbench

Jiang Wei jwhust@REDACTED
Wed Aug 19 09:50:11 CEST 2009

The test machine topology is [(0,1,4,5), (2,3,6,7)], and
erlang:system_info(cpu_topology) outputs:

1> erlang:system_info(cpu_topology).
[{processor,[{core,{logical,0}},
             {core,{logical,4}},
             {core,{logical,1}},
             {core,{logical,5}}]},
 {processor,[{core,{logical,2}},
             {core,{logical,6}},
             {core,{logical,3}},
             {core,{logical,7}}]}]

So it's right.
Then I bind schedulers to cpu cores:

 2> erlang:system_flag(scheduler_bind_type,default_bind).
unbound
 3> erlang:system_info(scheduler_bindings). {0,2,4,6,1,3,5,7}

Re-run the hackbench:

4> c(hackbench).
./hackbench.erl:56: Warning: variable 'Msg' is unused
{ok,hackbench}
5> hackbench:main(300,1000).
71.174117
// 300 groups, each groups has 20 pairs of processes, total 300*(20*2)=12000
processes, msg is sent 1000 times
6> hackbench:main(300,1000). 75.165799

without binding and everything is in default:

3> hackbench:main(300,1000).
67.151053
4> hackbench:main(300,1000).
72.056573

It doesn't change much.

With smp disable:

2> hackbench:main(300,1000).
53.942253

*More info is in the attachment. (including uname -a, /etc/issue,
/proc/cpuinfo, erlang version, gcc version)