This file system path thing is getting me down...

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sat Aug 15 17:57:42 CEST 2009

Hi Seth,

I'm sure you are right that reducing the scope will attract more
fundamental.

It's easy/obvious but laborious to do the filename path munging with
functions available from existing modules e.g. file, filename,
filelib, code, application, etc, so I'm not asking for a specific
solution to a specific problem here.

I'm fairly sure that the problems are compounded because when you read/
write, list, wildcard, etc, functions may expect/return (a list of)
any of:
1) a filename
2) a relative path
3) an absolute path
...which then need post-processing to point to actual files for later
manipulation.

My current thinking is perhaps to abstract the entire file system as a
data source and query it like a database (maybe using qlc) and only
ever return absolute names.

/sd