500k user simulation on EC2

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Thu Aug 13 21:05:15 CEST 2009

I'm creating a simulation on EC2 where I need to launch 500k clients.
The clients need to connect to a cluster of servers, exchange packets,
report latency and exit.

I need to report the simulation as unsuccessful if a client fails and
otherwise wait for all my clients to exit. I figured that I can make
clients part of a simple_one_for_one supervisor. This way I can ensure
that the simulation fails if at least one client fails.

Would a supervisor have trouble with 500k pids on different nodes,
though?

Also, is there a way to have the supervisor exit once all the clients
exit? I can't figure out a way to do this except for having a separate
gen_server monitor clients and gather reported latencies.

Any suggestions on how to best architect this?

	Thanks, Joel

---
Mac hacker with a performance bent
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont