[erlang-questions] Erlang node administration in production environment

wde wde@REDACTED
Sun Apr 26 22:29:59 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I have a general question about erlang node administration. In my lab, I start the nodes in interactive mode with a shell through a SSH connection to my servers.

It's really useful to have an erlang shell in order to debug, run specific functions to monitor or analyze your application.

My question is, how do you interact with an Erlang node in a production environment when the node is started in "detached" mode without shell ?

Do you add a new node to the cluster and use RPC to remotely execute command on the target node ?

Do you start a new node with a remote shell connected to a target node by using the -remsh flag ?

Other options ?

Thank you by advance for your responses and your feedbacks.

wde