[erlang-questions] Using sigwait in linked driver causes erl_ddll:load to return {error, {open_error, -10}}

Rob Elsner thatsnotright@REDACTED
Sun Apr 19 01:26:33 CEST 2009

Serge,

> Could you share with us how high resolution timers are related to sigwait?

sigwait is then used to wait for that signal, at which point I would
message the Erlang process.

Is there a better way?  I am not concerned about accurate timing of
events, what I truly need is relatively accurate signaling to do work.
 In this case I am looking for reliable timers to generate UDP packets
in the microsecond range.

> If your mere use of linked-in driver is to get access to high-res timers,
> the overhead of calling a function through a linked-in driver (that can take
> 5-10us) will defeat the purpose of high-res timers (that give nanosec
> resolution).  Though up until FFI is embedded in the distribution this is
> the "fastest" existing interface.

When we did some testing with the Erlang built in timer server, the
best we could mange reliably was 1 millisecond.  If you look at the
rt-tests
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tglx/rt-tests/

the cyclictest uses timer_create to generate a sigevent at a specified
interval.  On my hardware this provides a practical 10us timer
interval.  I are looking for ~100us interval timer resolution.

Thanks,
Rob