[erlang-questions] Erlang and Larrabee CPU

Witold Baryluk baryluk@REDACTED
Mon Apr 6 12:02:26 CEST 2009

On 04-05 01:41, Zvi wrote:

> I don't know in how many years we'll be able to run regular C/C++ code
> natively on it, yet Erlang ;-)

Actually Larabbe is x86 + extensions. It is regular multicore processor.
Intel enginers was running lots of common existing C/C++ libraries on Larabbe.

There will be probably version of larabbe which can be used as normal
CPU, and run there OS (with Linux or BSD it will be very simple)

As a computational platform Larabbe will be greate, just compile
to x86 as usual (mayby with different -march, to use other optimalisations,
and autovectorizations), put data and binary somewhere in RAM, run,
and get results.

With Erlang there is small problem with Larabbe as main CPU.
What about IO? Can Larabbe generete or handle interupts from network cards,
or disks? I know there will be some sort of DMA, but I'm just curious.

Without interupt what can we do? Poll on each core,
some area of memmory for notifications from host CPU. Ugly.

--
Witold Baryluk
JID: witold.baryluk // jabster.pl