[erlang-questions] Erlang and Larrabee CPU

Zvi exta7@REDACTED
Sun Apr 5 10:41:48 CEST 2009

buzzwords, buzzwords...
I think with all the multicore buzz (partially attributed to Yariv's blog
and Joe's book), people mixing different kind of parallelism:

1. Task-level parallelism
     Irregular concurrency - applications that need to derive parallelism
from disparate concurrent tasks.
2. Data-parallel
     Concurrency more apporpriate for synchronized parallel execution (like
in GPU/CUDA).

Erlang's actor-based model is more apporpiate for #1.
While bad scalar floating point performance and absence of built-in
homogenous non-sequential data structures (vectors, matrices) doesn't help
for #2.
Erlang still can be used for controlling various accelerator devices, like
Larabee and GPUs.

Your are right, trhat LRB cores are essentialy general purpouse Pentium
cores with extended x86-64 IA with 512-bit wide SIMD and hyperthreading.
But initially it will be used as a GPU. With DirectX/OpenGL/CUDA/whatever
drivers emulating GPU.
I don't know in how many years we'll be able to run regular C/C++ code
natively on it, yet Erlang ;-)

Zvi