[erlang-questions] State of the Union: FFI

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Thu Apr 2 14:07:15 CEST 2009

That would be good.

I also would like to express keen interest in pushing this EEP forward
in the queue so that the OTP team would consider its inclusion in the
distribution.  This EEP has been sitting out there for a while and if
there is a reason why it's not being processed, please let us know.

Though driver-based C interop API is fast, it does incur around 20-30us
overhead for a function call in the current implementation (though I
last benchmarked it in R11B-5), whereas an FFI-based approach can be
made more optimal (at the cost of potential loss of robustness, yet
often that is an acceptable sacrifice for the sake of performance gain
when bridging Erlang to other C/C++ libraries).

Serge