[erlang-questions] List to proplist?

Zvi exta7@REDACTED
Fri Oct 31 13:37:40 CET 2008

Zvi wrote:

> ... cheatshit ...

Oops, this is a neologism I invented. I mean cheatsheet :-)

Anyway, I think language design can't be done incrementally.
Look at Erlang stdlib:
http://blog.socklabs.com/2008/10/erlang_woes/
http://www.nabble.com/Hungarian-notation-for-Erlang---ETL-td14701912.html#a19822958

It follows the pattern of "maximum surprise" :-)
All the issues of:
* list/tuple/binary/etc. comprehensions
* parallel comprehensions (i.e. something like [X+Y || X<-Xs ; Y<- Ys] )
* iterators/generators
* real sequences (unlike lists:seq)
* new collection types
* built-in string type
* built-in dictionary type (like in Javascript and Python)
* built-in matrix/vector of floats type
* implicit data-parallel constructs

All these and other issues should be considered together, incremental
changes to the language, only leading to Balkanization of the language (same
as with libraries in Nick's blog post).

Zvi