[erlang-questions] Question re console io in a distributed computation

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Oct 31 00:13:39 CET 2008

Whether there's a bug hidden in this, I'm not sure... but certainly some
interesting interaction, and if it's documented anywhere, I have yet to
find it. (:

If you start erlang on the remote nodes using -noshell, it works as expected.
Otherwise, it seems as if the shell steals all the input and starves the
call to io:get_line() (or whichever input function you use). This starvation is
certainly unexpected, since the output (the prompt) appears on the console,
but the input request is never served.

Calling io:get_line(Prompt) locally from the shell works, presumably because
the shell is not consuming input while waiting for the shell evaluator
to return.

BR,
Ulf W