[erlang-questions] Extracting capture group names from regular expressions

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Thu Oct 30 15:38:13 CET 2008

>> There is certainly support for anonymous groups in the 're' module
>> which we are talking about here.
>> In the old regexp module there is no support for groups.
>
> Sure, but this is what the module doc says:
>
> "This is an experimental module and the interface is subject to
> change. The purpose is to be a reference implementation of what's
> described in the EEP "Built in regular expressions in Erlang",
> available at www.erlang.org for review. No production code should be
> based on this module until the draft is accepted and the module
> corrected accordingly."

The experimental notice in the documentation is there because we have not
frozen the API yet. But I know for sure that this is the
implementation it will be
and the type of regular expressions it supports will be the same as it is today.

I see no problem with using the re module even in production code as
long as you are prepared
to change your code if we change the API.
I can also say for sure that you will not get any more functionality
in the old regexp module at least not
from us.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson