[erlang-questions] Problems with sending UDP datagrams without buffering

Johnny Billquist bqt@REDACTED
Wed Oct 29 14:06:34 CET 2008

Mark Geib wrote:
> I have a case where I MUST send datagrams that are smaller than a
> network frame. The device I am sending to will not except larger datagrams.
>
> I am sending message that are less than 700 bytes in length, but on the
> network using a sniffer I periodically see datagrams from the
> application that are 7000 bytes or so in size. The data is correct, the
> end device will not accept.
>
> I am sending these datagrams about every 20 miliseconds.
>
> Is there an option I am missing to force every gen_dup:send() to cause
> the datagram to be sent.?? I am running on linux 2.6.27 kernel.

If you are using TCP, there are no such concept as a datagram. TCP is a
stream oriented connection.

There is a lot more to this if you want to dig into it, but the basic
assumption is wrong if you try to use this as a datagram service.

	Johnny