[erlang-questions] : Why isn't erlang strongly typed?

Wed Oct 22 15:56:49 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 05:01:19AM -0700, Steve Davis wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments -- I really appreciate the quality of
> these responses!
>
> I am now receiving the following message: There isn't a simple answer.
>
> I guess if I accept Ulf's definition of strongly typed, then it's true
> that Erlang is "strongly typed", and mea culpa for using terminology
> that's known to be ambiguous, but I wasn't sure that confining the
> question to "statically typed" was the accurate way to phrase my query
> or to elicit a useful answer/discussion.
>
> I can see from reading Gleb and Robert's answers there would be issues
> with hot code loading, and also with selective receive as Jason
> pointed out. However, it seems that perhaps even these language design
> issues were not insurmountable (see Michael's post and also Richard/
> Joe's comments).
>
> However, the fact remains that Erlang does essentially leave a library
> user in the dark at code level, since functions may return any data
> type at all depending on their arguments. When you are designing your
> pattern matches to extract/unpack/*use* return values it becomes
> onerous whenever the data type is non-trivial. Of course feeding in

I am maybe missing a point here, but "the Erlang way" here
is often to assume you get what you expected, run along
and process the data, and when you get something
unexpected, thanks to the strong typing, you will
get a crashed process. And this you take care of by
using OTP supervision trees that handle the error
and restart the task.

The code you see is the code for the correct data flow.