[erlang-questions] Why isn't erlang strongly typed?

Jason Ganetsky jason.ganetsky@REDACTED
Tue Oct 21 21:37:27 CEST 2008

Dynamic typing also helps a lot with Erlang style message passing. If you
want to see a statically typed language with almost-Erlang-like message
passing, check out Phillip Wadler's Links.

Erlang-style selective receive can't be done in Links (because its receive
statement must exhaustively cover all patterns in order to type-check). In
order to get similar functionality in a static typing environment, message
passing must be replaced with a more complicated concurrency paradigm like
join-calculus.

Also, message passing complicates the typing system. Functions have a more
complicated type (instead of A -> B... A ~ C -> B... which means the
function can receive a message of type C while executing). All other
statements have an implicit message type which depends on the context of the
statements around it. It gets harder for the programmer to mentally
type-check the program.

Another issue with static typing arises when handling process death.
Monitoring a process would require the type of the reason to match up with
the code receiving the {'EXIT',...} message. So, every process is of type
process (m, d)... where m is the type of message it can receive, and d is
the type of the death reason. You would link() would only be able to called
from process (a, _) onto process (_, a). It's restrictive.

Anyway, I like static typing, but these issues would have to get solved.
They are necessarily simple.