[erlang-questions] eheap_alloc crash when using mnesia

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Tue Oct 21 02:44:59 CEST 2008

On 21 Oct 2008, at 9:56 am, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> Do any other programming languages with implicit dynamic memory
> allocation have a better solution than simply terminating?

Funnily enough I've been arguing about this in the mailing
list for revising the Smalltalk standard.

VisualWorks Smalltalk raises an exception.
(I suspect that it preallocates the exception object.)

Squeak Smalltalk reserves enough memory to run a
"Low Space Warning" dialogue that offers to let you blast
away the current activity + a few other options.

SWI Prolog reserves enough memory to build an exception and
raise it.

In a language with multiple processes (like Smalltalk and
SWI Prolog), it can be difficult to decide which process
to blame.