[erlang-questions] Good reason for not using "releases"?

David Mitchell monch1962@REDACTED
Mon Oct 20 23:50:12 CEST 2008

My take would be that if you don't need a facility, don't bother
implementing it.  You might find you need releases at some point in
the future, but assuming you don't exclude the possibility of building
them in later (e.g. by writing your code in such a way that prevents
it from happening), then it seems you could add it in if/when the
requirement becomes apparent.

As an analogy, I like to think of myself as someone who tries to
improve their coding skills as far as I'm able, and I think I'm doing
that month by month.  That said, I've got no problem building quick
and dirty one-off Perl scripts to e.g. read in some data and reformat
it for me - trying to create elegant code isn't a priority in this
instance, but getting it done as quickly as possible often is a
priority in this case.

I'll be interested to hear what others think

Regards

Dave M.