[erlang-questions] How to build Erlang with libcmt (/MT) under windows?

Bjorn Gustavsson bgustavsson@REDACTED
Mon Oct 20 15:09:54 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Michael Regen <michael.regen@REDACTED>wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
> I can understand that you do not have intentions supporting it in the main
> distribution. It simply does not make sense there. An installer is needed in
> any case which can take care of the CRT dependencies.
>
> But may I ask you - can you give me a hint where Microsoft discourages the
> use of a statically bound CRT? Or give me a hint why that would lead to
> memory leaks? I would really like to understand the problem, investigated
> since I read your statements and so far was unsuccessful finding any hints.

Here is an article about the potential problems about passing CRT objects
across DLL boundaries:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235460(VS.80).aspx

In the context of the Erlang emulator, you could run into those problems if
you load drivers into a statically linked
emulator, as they would use a different copy of the run-time library.

> The reason why I am asking is because I was thinking about some kind of SAE
> revival. I wrote some tests and I am already able to run Erlang together
> with many kinds of Erlang applications in one single .exe without patching
> the emulator.

As long as you don't load dynamic drivers, statically linking the run-time
library would be OK since there would
still only be one copy of the run-time library.

/Bjorn