[erlang-questions] What's the status of erl_com, the Erlang-t o-COM bridge?

David Mitchell monch1962@REDACTED
Thu Oct 16 23:09:03 CEST 2008

I'd LOVE to replace MQ and Tibco - about they only things they have in
their favor is "vendor support", and being already entrenched in the
environment.  I quite like the functionality of both, but trying to do
something with them that the vendors didn't consider (i.e. hook Erlang
to them) is painful.  For an open-source app, there would either be a
generic API (e.g. REST) that would be language independent, or I could
pull apart the source and extend it.

Actually, MQ has a "sort of like REST" API, but it's an optional extra
i.e. costs money.  It's not enough like REST to make it a no-brainer
though, and then there's the question of how it's gonna impact the
existing infrastructure since it has to run on the MQ server.

As far as the data distribution goes, I need to build a
"dashboard"-type Web page that I can use to see the state of all the
various interfaces.  COMET gives me the ability to have the server
update each interface's status as new info becomes available without
having the user refresh the Web page (at least, that's the theory -
whether it's gonna scale is another matter...).  Do you know of a way
I could duplicate that with XMPP and ejabberd?  I don't really want an
AJAX interface except as a last resort, as that's going to be a "pull"
interface; I'd really like a "push" interface if it's practical, so I
can get something approaching real-time updates.

Thanks for your response

Dave M.