[erlang-questions] : pid to integer and back

Thu Oct 9 08:50:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 07:10:33PM +0100, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
>
> > Use term_to_binary and just remove starting 131, 130 and following
> > node
> > information, you take 9 bytes and use this. Or you can get only ID
> > part
> > which is only 4bytes.
>
> That would work. I have a question, though... Under what conditions
> can the serial portion of the PID change? That would be the Z in
> <X.Y.Z>.

For many enough processes. Due to backwards comp... you have
heard it before, Y is the 15 least significant bits of
the process index, and Z the more significant.
And X is the external node index, so on the home node
of a process, X is 0.