[erlang-questions] re cursive fun()

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Wed Oct 8 09:41:31 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED> wrote:

> It seems like there are two separate threads here: one is about defining
> recursive functions in the shell; and the other is about defining local
> (recursive) functions in a module.

You can use same tricks in module as in shell (if you are pervert a little
;-).

> The first case has been reasonably covered in how you create a fun with a
> reference to itself so it can call itself recursively.
>
> In the second case I must agree with Richard, there is no *need* to have
> local (to a function) functions, you can just use normal top-level
> functions. They *are * more efficient than funs. I have found, however, that
> I sometimes use funs as local functions when I want to stress that these are
> local functions. Especially after a bout of LFE hacking which has them.

I agree, there is always way how to do refactoring to local recursive
functions and make up funs from those. (There should not be difference in
performance, it is Erlang fault if is. But there is long way to this goal,
for example hot spot compiler and such thinks.)

I strongly agree with following, especially with EPP and Self thinks.

--
--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil