[erlang-questions] Erlang doesn't suck

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Thu Oct 2 13:05:48 CEST 2008

I would like notice that hipe can cause performance lost for some special
cases. There is not simple equation, switch on hipe and you gain some amount
of performance surplus. Especially when you have tight loop over not so much
complex data structures you can gain big amount of performance. When you do
big amount of inter module calls you gain less and when you do big amount of
message passings you can lost some performance when switch it on.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:

> Joel Reymont wrote:
> > On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Paul Fisher wrote:
> >
> > There's certainly an increase in throughput (request per second) with
> > hipe, even under 32 bits.
> >
> > Is there a way to mass-hipe-compile all of OTP?
>
> Not an easy one that I know of.  We have discussed many times with the
> OTP folks the possibility to add such a configure option, but so far it
> has not happened.  Yet another item for the upcoming meeting with them.
>
> Perhaps this option will be available in R12B-5.
>
> Kostis

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil