[erlang-questions] Building 64-bit Erlang on Solaris 11

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Thu Oct 2 09:57:35 CEST 2008

Paul Fisher writes:
 > Joel Reymont wrote:
 > > ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-64bit CFLAGS='-m64'
 > > gmake
 > > ld: fatal: file obj/i386-pc-solaris2.11/opt/plain/erl_main.o: wrong
 > > ELF class: ELFCLASS64
 > > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to /home/admin/
 > > otp_src_R12B-4/bin/i386-pc-solaris2.11/beam
 > >
 > > What am I doing wrong?
 > >
 > >         Thanks, Joel
 > >
 > > P.S. Omitting CFLAGS='-m64' builds a 32-bit Erlang.
 >
 > Not so straight forward (esp. if you use linked in drivers as we do).
 > Here is what it takes

I believe the problem is that the otp build system probably
overrides CFLAGS, which would cancel any user setting of CFLAGS.
What I and others typically do for 64-bit builds is to set
CC='gcc -m64' or to point CC to a script that always adds -m64.

The real fix IMO is not to add --enable-64bit because in theory
there can be other compilation mode defaults the user may want
to override. Instead the build system should be made to respect
the user's CFLAGS.