[erlang-questions] Erlang doesn't suck

Paul Fisher pfisher@REDACTED
Wed Oct 1 18:42:18 CEST 2008

Joel Reymont wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:14 PM, Paul Fisher wrote:
>
>> Just curious about the config here.  Was the solaris using 32 or 64-
>> bit erlang?  Compiled with gcc, right?
>

> I believe I used 32 bits both on my Mac and at Joyent.
>
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.4 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
> [kernel-poll:false]
>
> gcc -MM -MG -g -O2 ...
>
> Do I stand to gain anything from using 64 bits here?

I would expect HIPE compiled stuff to have much more chance to go
faster, but otherwise it trades higher memory usage (64-bit addresses in
  data structures) for larger addressable memory for a vm.  You don't
seem to need to the memory, so only benefit i could see is gains from
better HIPE code execution with the extra registers.

Which begs the question of whether you compile to native or not for your
benchmarking?  Not everything benefits, but we have some modules that
show significant gains from:

-compile([native, {hipe,[o3]}, inline]).

I really asked because we do have the potential to use the larger
addressable memory space, so was curious on what your benchmarks were
based.  Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to do direct comparisons
between 32/64-bit vms yet...

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

--
paul