[erlang-questions] Why can't HiPE inline functions across modules?

Tony Arcieri tony@REDACTED
Wed Nov 19 00:41:27 CET 2008

I've read that HiPE can't inline functions across modules.  Is this merely
an implementation issue of HiPE, or is there some intractable problem I'm
missing?

People typically bring up code change as the reason, however I don't see why
HiPE couldn't walk the graph of modules for which inlining has been
performed during a code change and deoptimize them all back to their
original state, then start all inlining for these modules over from scratch
again.

Is there an intracticble problem I'm missing, or is cross-module inlining a
feature that should appear on a HiPE wishlist?

--
Tony Arcieri
medioh.com