[erlang-questions] Twoorl: an open source Twitter clone

Per Melin per.melin@REDACTED
Fri May 30 19:00:00 CEST 2008

2008/5/30 Patrick Logan <patrickdlogan@REDACTED>:
> Another angle on this is to use ejabberd and XMPP.

Can you send a message with XMPP/ejabberd to a client that is not
online? If not, that will get you nowhere.

As far as I know (which in this case isn't far), Twitter already uses
ejabberd, but only to communicate with Jabber IM clients.

Someone from Twitter gave a presentation in 2007 called "Scaling
Twitter" which had a slide on Erlang as an alternative (to Ruby +
MySQL). It said: "What are you doing? Stabbing my eyes out with a
fork."

I guess they did have a quick look, and nothing more, at Erlang.