[erlang-questions] EEP 10

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu May 15 11:24:29 CEST 2008

Hi,

2008/5/15 Raimo Niskanen
<raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED<raimo%2Berlang-questions@REDACTED>
>:

> EEP 10: Representing Unicode characters in Erlang
> has been recognized by the EEP editor(s).
>
> http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0010.html

Cool! I think there is one aspect that is related and maybe should be
adressed, regarding handling of source files. I suppose keeping them as
latin1 will no longer be acceptable in the longer perspective, because
people may need to use non-latin1 string literals. The same applies to files
read with file:consult/1, for example, where the API doesn't yet allow
specifying the encoding.

I'm not sure if this should be a different eep or not.

Aside (just slightly): if the i18n can of worms is opened, then it will also
become useful to be able to localize strings for different languages and a
standard way to handle this will help a lot.

regards,
Vlad