[erlang-questions] : : First send from JInterface ok, second one blocs?? FOUND THE PROBLEM

Alexander Lamb alexander.lamb@REDACTED
Wed May 14 09:04:40 CEST 2008

Answers in the text.

Le 13 mai 08 à 14:38, Raimo Niskanen a écrit :

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:27:05PM +0200, Alexander Lamb wrote:
>> Ok,
>>
>> I found the solution but I don't understand why:
>>
>> When I started the erlang server, I initially wrote:
>>
>> erl -mnesia -setcookie rodanotech -sname alex (notice the "sname")
>>
>> It started the node as
>>
>> (alex@REDACTED)1>
>>
>> But from my Java program I was forced to write:
>>
>> "alex@REDACTED" when sending a message from my mailbox.
>
> Why was you "forced to write" alex@REDACTED?
> The example I tried used -sname e@REDACTED for
> the Erlang node and j@REDACTED for the java node.
> And while I wrote it I tried using the short host
> name a'la e@REDACTED and j@REDACTED (but not kirk), and it worked.

Because otherwise it wouldn't connect even though the node was started
as alex@REDACTED

Now, my impression is that this is a special effect of MacOSX (I am
running the 10.5.2 on Intel with the latest version of Erlang). It is
probable that the way name resolution works locally (the two nodes on
my desktop) is different from Linux.

>> For some unknown reason, the first call went ok, the any following
>> one
>> didn't.
>
> That is strange since you can not mix long and short names
> in an Erlang network. Perhaps something is not quite
> as it should be in Jinterface regarding long vs. short
> node names.

Exactly, but imagine the first lookup (the one which will lead to
create a connection between the two nodes) is done in one way, then
the second lookup (once the connection is made) is done differently...