[erlang-questions] slightly OT: considering Macbook as stand alone for running personal erlang server, worthwhile?

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Thu Mar 27 19:10:53 CET 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 10:41 AM, bryan rasmussen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My girlfriend bought a new Macbook 4.1 yesterday (2.1 GHz Core2 Duo,
> 1GB RAM) now she's regretting it and going to buy a Macbook Air, and
> wants to sell me this one, now the problem is I don't really have any
> particular use for it. I was thinking about buying a new computer, but
> not another laptop, but if I did buy it I figure I would basically be
> running different projects on it on the side, for example Erlang based
> stuff - like a personal Ejabberd or Yaws.
>
> So does anyone know particular bad points in relation to Erlang, good
> points for this particular machine?

Personally, I find it frustrating to run some of my erlang side
projects on my Mac, simply because it seems like every couple of days
there's some software update that seems to think I need to reboot the
computer.  What's the fun of running always-up, hot-updatable
applications when your OS vendor is constantly pulling the rug out
from under you.

-kevin