[erlang-questions] Erlang 10 years of Open Source; it is time for the next step

Michael Gebetsroither gebi@REDACTED
Thu Mar 20 00:28:25 CET 2008

* Christian S <chsu79@REDACTED> wrote:

> While I am partial to GIT already, the following document should be
> read for how development can be done using a DSCM, not only git:
>
> http://erlangish.blogspot.com/2007/10/erlware-and-git-development-model.html
>
> These are the values I see:
> * OTP would still receive patches over erlang-patches and have the
> last word on what gets committed.
> * Anyone gets commit access to _a_ repository so their parallel
> branches can be kept up to date with the master OTP branch.
>   + Experimental branches can live side by side until they reach OTP-quality.
> * DSCM encourages change-sets that map 1:1 with an added
> feature/bugfix, so the change history in itself is very readable
> and educational as to how future similar changes should be made. (No
> daily Clear-case-syncing commits that just bring the public repo up to
> date please!)

Not to mention the incredible usefull git-bisect to search for bugs.
Especially with a small script that automatically tests if a version is
good or bad.
Eg. a bug is reported -> make a unittest and let bisect search where the
error went in.

This is nearly undoable in svn without a really fast lan connection and
even then it's quite timecomsuming.

cu,
michael
--