[erlang-questions] Erlang GUIs

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Mon Mar 17 09:57:44 CET 2008

Hello,

I think that regarding XUL, the best example of what can be achieve
with Erlang is the OneTeam instant messaging client.
If you do it well you can make it run the same from a web browser
without installing anything or as a standalone client.
XUL is quite hard because it is undocumented, but you can build really
nice interface with it.

More information on:
- http://www.process-one.net/en/oneteam/
- http://oneteam.im/

Le 16 mars 08 à 23:45, Mariano Guerra a écrit :

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Roberto Saccon <rsaccon@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>> Mariano, XUL sounds interesting in theory, but there might be show-
>> stoppers:
>>
>> Is there any Erlang XPCOM interface ?
>>
>> XUL is  XML, which requires tools for efficient editing, does such a
>> tool exist and does it fit into your workflow ?
>>

> I was thinking on XUL as a replacement for the HTML over yaws
> solution not as a replacement for wxWindows, if you use some kind of
> template engine, and open Prism pointing to for example
> http://127.0.0.1:1337 and using async calls to some kind of REST
> service or erlang replacement of that (JSON could work nice here :)),
> you have a web application running locally that looks like a destop
> application, just replacing the URL you have a website :).
>
> you will have some javascript there, but well, if you do the HTML
> solution you will have it to, and using wxWindows means to have a
> binding to another library that is not fully implemented and may have
> problems with concurrent calls (I dont know if that will happen, but
> for example GTK doesn't support threads very well)
>
> also, with this solution you have the best of both worlds I guess.. a
> web app with native look and feel.
>
> I don't know if that answer your question.

Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/