[erlang-questions] Linux O_DIRECT flag

Valentin Micic valentin@REDACTED
Sat Mar 15 09:00:26 CET 2008

Per wrote:

> I would also doubt that, given the way the problem is presented. In any
> case the O_DIRECT thing sounds like a performance disaster unless you
> have an application that has been specifically designed with those
> semantics in mind.

Application was designed to take advantage of RAM, with journaling and write
behind... however, I fail to see a relevance of answers visa-a-vis my
question -- question was how to do it, and not so much, if at all, why one
should not do it.

As far as implementing support for O_DIRECT flag: I suppose that a proper
place for it would be in "prim_file.erl" open_mode/4. However, doing it on
my own would mean that I have to do it every time a new release is out.
Well, I'm not crazy about it -- wouldn't it be far more convenient if this
becomes a part of standard release (pveeez). I mean, if O_DIRECT option
exist, it is there for a reason, so if someone is crazy (or stupid) enough
to use it, let him knock (him|her)self out, right?

V.

PS
IMHO, performance tuning is much more difficult if one needs to do it at
kernel level -- you may fix one thing, but brake another. If one could
establish desired behavior/performance at the application level, one has a
better way to manage performance of such application in a long run.