[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED
Tue Mar 11 19:30:14 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
[...]
>     I generally don't accept arguments about re-ordering definition
> clauses,
>     because if you know what you are doing it is pretty rare.  But I
> *do*
>     accept arguments about *adding* clauses when you revise a data
> type, so
>     I wish that Erlang would allow all function clauses to end with a
> full
>     stop.

Commenting out first or last clauses or first or last statements are not
that rare during debugging - and the compiler error is really annoying
at that time.

> (2) Again, I generally don't accept arguments about re-ordering function
>     calls in a body.  I don't find that to be a common mistake.  Oh,
> I do
>     make mistakes in Erlang.  I make mistakes all the time in all
> sorts of
>     languages.  One mistake I do make in Erlang and in C is to get
> the order
>     of arguments wrong.  So why isn't Mr "Erlang sucks" complaining
> bitterly
>     about how C and Java use different terminators after the last
> argument ")"
>     and all the others ",", making it hard to swap arguments?
> Presumably he
>     isn't complaining about that BECAUSE C and Java do the same
> thing, so he
>     hasn't noticed it.

Actually that's annoying in C or Java too. However, reordering arguments
is rare during debugging, commenting out arguments is not that rare. And
we've got the /* */ style comment in those languages that makes it
easy.
 				Bye,NAR
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
  tried it."