[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Tue Mar 11 01:40:12 CET 2008

On 11 Mar 2008, at 1:48 am, Mats Cronqvist wrote:

> Damien Katz ( of couchDB fame) has written a blog post about the
> warts of erlang.
> (http://damienkatz.net/2008/03/what_sucks_abou.html)
Some of what Damien Katz says puzzles me greatly.
He claims, for example, that Erlang is exceptionally hard to edit.
I can only say that I have not found it so, and I don't even use
an Erlang-aware editor.

When he writes
	Erlang string operations are just not as simple or easy as
	most languages with integrated string types
the obvious retort is "No, they are simpler and easier".

However, sometimes giving a whining child a lollipop is a rational
thing to do.  Maybe it is time for a string type that holds sequences
of Unicode characters in some unspecified compact format; binaries with
a different tag.