[erlang-questions] newbie: why c.erl is special?

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Wed Mar 5 19:21:30 CET 2008

What am I missing from the description of Erlang packages that does not do
what everyone wants: namely, namespaces?  I would think if I want to create
all my modules under my own "mercer" namespace, I'd just put them in a
directory called "mercer" and then name my modules "mercer.M" (where M is
the module name.

If this is what everyone seems to want, why hasn't the package notation
caught on?

Cheers,

David Mercer

-----Original Message-----
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED
[mailto:erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Richard Carlsson
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 04:02
To: Anthony Kong
Cc: erlang-questions
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] newbie: why c.erl is special?

It was implemented a long time ago, but there was not a lot of
community enthusiasm for it, so it's not been made an official
part of the language yet. Still, it should work also in R12.

http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/packages.html

It was originally inspired by/ripped off from Java, but in
practice it's more similar to Lisp namespaces; see "The Complete
Idiot's Guide to Common Lisp Packages" for details:
http://www.flownet.com/ron/packages.pdf

     /Richard