[erlang-questions] Twoorl: an open source Twitter clone

Barry Kelly bkelly.ie@REDACTED
Fri Jun 6 04:52:14 CEST 2008

Joe Armstrong wrote:

> Yes yes yes - I have for a long time thought that non-destructive
> persistent queues are the perfect data structure for
> many applications. I can't see why REST has GET, PUT, POST and DELETE
> - It should have GET and APPEND
> (only).

> Appending things to a input queue *and never deleting them* seems to
> me a perfect way to deal with things.

There are privacy and security ramifications to such a design. A service
provider implemented using such a model may hold passwords and customer
data much longer than it needs to.

Furthermore, the semantic operations of PUT and DELETE still need
implementing - customers still want to logically upsert and delete
resources, so a second-level API convention or standard is still
required.

Why not simply implement PUT, POST and DELETE as enqueued operations on
the server side?

-- Barry

--
http://barrkel.blogspot.com/