[erlang-questions] eep: multiple patterns

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Jun 4 21:48:36 CEST 2008

Darren New wrote:
> Ulf Wiger wrote:
>
>> This is actually a very strong argument against structuring large
>> systems using message-passing interfaces, even though that
>> might seem quite the natural thing to do in Erlang.
>>

> It's not a fundamental problem. It's a lack of tools. There are a lot of
> tools for (for example) LOTOS, which is (for purposes of this
> discussion) very similar to Erlang except much more formal. These tools
> do things like find deadlocks, tell you whether the new version of your
> protocol will interact with the older version of your protocol, and so on.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a fundamental problem,
only that it's not a good strategy in large systems due to
the lack of tool support.

It's possible that some changes/additions to the language
might be warranted as well. Time will surely tell...

BR,
Ulf W