[erlang-questions] eep: multiple patterns

Darren New dnew@REDACTED
Wed Jun 4 16:45:53 CEST 2008

Ulf Wiger wrote:
> This is actually a very strong argument against structuring large
> systems using message-passing interfaces, even though that
> might seem quite the natural thing to do in Erlang.

It's not a fundamental problem. It's a lack of tools. There are a lot of
tools for (for example) LOTOS, which is (for purposes of this
discussion) very similar to Erlang except much more formal. These tools
do things like find deadlocks, tell you whether the new version of your
protocol will interact with the older version of your protocol, and so on.

Of course, Erlang adds more real-world capabilities (like the idea half
the system might crash out from under you) while LOTOS is exceedingly
difficult to even compile. And the tools (that is, the theory behind the
tools) have bits that make them very slow in cases with large fan-out.

But it's practical problems, not theoretical problems, that make
figuring out what you "should" receive difficult.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"