[erlang-questions] Simple Erlang Recommendation (last returned value)

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Mon Jul 28 06:49:59 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 22:15 +0200, attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED
wrote:

> > In most cases, when your Erlang code looks ugly, you do ugly think or you
> > structure your code wrong way.

> It's not ugly thinking - it's non-erlangish thinking. And in my opinion
> it's a fault in a language if it constrains my thinking. It should be
> the other way: the language should follow my thinking.

The practical upshot of this is that we should all program in a macro
assembler because that provides the fewest constraints on your thinking.

I'm more of the camp that a decent language guides your thinking by
making desirable coding techniques easy and undesirable ones hard.  This
is where a lot of popular languages like C++ or Java fail, in my books:
they claim one style of coding is desirable and then make that style of
programming as hard as other styles of programming which they claim as
undesirable and wonder why people don't do the Right Thing <tm>.

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter@REDACTED> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter@REDACTED)