[erlang-questions] Simple Erlang Recommendation (last returned value)

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Sun Jul 27 22:41:33 CEST 2008

2008/7/27  <attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED>:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
> [...]
> [really ugly code]
>
>> In most cases, when your Erlang code looks ugly, you do ugly think or you
>> structure your code wrong way.
>
> It's not ugly thinking - it's non-erlangish thinking. And in my opinion
> it's a fault in a language if it constrains my thinking. It should be
> the other way: the language should follow my thinking.

"A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."
Alan Perlis (http://www.cs.yale.edu/quotes.html)

If you want a language that follows your thinking, you should
write your own language. Then you'll either have a language that
has no opinion about how to structure your code, or one that
many others might well find constraining.  ;-)

Personally, I find it a great advantage that Erlang has a pretty
clear opinion about how code should be structured.

BR,
Ulf W