[erlang-questions] edoc: cross-referencing standard Erlang functions

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Fri Jul 18 00:44:27 CEST 2008

I am replying to my own question.

I did some more looking through the edoc code. It appears that the edoc
documentation provided with the Erlang distribution uses some JavaScript
tricks to make cross-app references work properly. There's a file named
erlresolvelinks.js in the $ERLANG_HOME/doc directory. It appears to have
been generated by a program, and maps the names of applications and modules
to the correct documentation file. erlresolvelinks.js provides a single
function named erlhref, which is called as follows:

javascript:erlhref(ups, appName, htmlFile);

Example:

{@link //kernel/file:read_file/1} in a .erl file corresponds to
javascript:erlhref('../../../../',
'kernel', 'file.html#read_file-1');
in the the generated Erlang HTML for that .erl file - but not using the edoc
that comes with the standard Erlang/OTP distribution (I am using R12B-3).

I searched the entire R12B-3 source distro and did not find the word
"erlhref" in any of its files.

~/erlang/otp_src_R12B-3$ find . | xargs grep erlhref
~/erlang/otp_src_R12B-3$

I searched the installed release, just in case:

/usr/local/lib/erlang$ find . -name "*.html" -prune -o -print | xargs grep
erlhref
./doc/erlresolvelinks.js:function erlhref(ups, app, rest) {
/usr/local/lib/erlang$

I added the option [{app_default, "/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib"}] to the call
to edoc:application/3, but the generated cross references did not contain
the version of the application and were therefore incorrect.

Example:

In edoc, //stdlib/gen_server:code_change/3 generates the link
file:///usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/stdlib/doc/gen_server.html#code_change-3,
which is incorrect (it should have been stdlib-1.15.3).

I don't know how the OTP team generated the Erlang docs, but it would be
nice if I could have access to the same features.

Any ideas on this?