[erlang-questions] [Kai-users] Kai - An Open Source Implementation of Amazon's Dynamo

Justin Sheehy justin@REDACTED
Sun Jul 13 19:31:20 CEST 2008

On 7/13/08 12:14 PM, "Takeru INOUE" <takeru.inoue@REDACTED> wrote:

>> Also, to get real value out of your R and W parameters you will need to move
>> away from setting them globally for a whole cluster and instead make them
>> per-request parameters.
>
> Good point.
> In the current implementation, parameters like R and W are configured
> per node basis.
> However, these parameters must be shared in the whole system.
> It's better to exchange the parameters before joining the system.

Actually, no.  I meant somewhat the opposite.

You want N to be shared across the system, but to be able to specify R or W
on a per-request basis from each client.  This way you can leave some of the
CAP balancing to the specific application use.

-Justin