[erlang-questions] Reference counting instead of GC?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Jul 4 02:19:20 CEST 2008

Many years ago I did an Erlang implementation based on a reference
counting GC (it *is* gc even if not a mark-sweep or copying). Some
comments based on that work (no specific order):

- It worked very well and was reasonably efficient.
- One interesting property was that it reclaimed data *fast* so the
memory footprint was relatively small.
- Even though each object may be larger as there is only one copy then
memory usage is often less than for a copying collector.
- Freeing large unused structures is no problems, there well-known are
simple techniques for doing that in a non-blocking way.
- My work was done on a uni-processor so I have no experience with
doing it on a multi-core. I have seen that there are papers written on
the subject but I have not studied them.
- To get speed you have to be cunning at all levels so it is difficult
to just take the BEAM and hack in a different GC, especially one which
is so different.
- The biggest problem is probably the sheer work involved in doing
enough of an implementation to test it. As mentioned in previous
comment you have to redo basically all memory allocation everywhere.
- Erlang is suited for reference counting as it has no circular
structures, well it has a few circular references but they are only in
well-known places so no real problems.
- It was a fun memory system. Seeing all the reference counts drop to
0 at the end of a run was very satisfying. :-)
- Shared memory between processes at the *implementation level* is no
problem as the application never sees it, it can only make copies.

I really liked it, one of these days I will do another.

Robert