[erlang-questions] erts design information/experts around?

Paul Fisher pfisher@REDACTED
Thu Jul 3 18:11:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 17:53 +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 10:12:27AM -0500, Paul Fisher wrote:
> > I sent the following note to erlang-bugs two days ago and have not seen
> > anyone comment.
> >
> > > We have a system where we run lots of linked-in driver ports that get
> > > created/used/closed frequently and sometimes very quickly.  Today when
> > > several open_port/2, port_command/2 and port_close/1 cycles happened
> > > rapid succession, a SIGSEGV occurrect in erl_bif_ddl.c:
> > >
> > > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > > [Switching to Thread 1125235040 (LWP 12087)]
> > > 0x0000000000449712 in erl_ddll_try_unload_2 (p=0x2aaaab11fc90,
> > >     name_term=659339, options=46912503328425) at beam/erl_bif_ddll.c:592
> > >

> > ???This is not the first email about runtime internals that I have sent
> > which has gone without comment, and so I am wondering if the people with
> > detailed knowledge of the runtime do not follow these lists.
> >

> They are on vacation. We would need both the experts on
> SMP and the experts on Windows debugging.

Vacation explains it, thx!

My fault, this is R12B-3 on 64-bit Intel Linux (debian etch).  Also
happens on R12B-2 in the same way.

> > Is there a better place/way to get in contact?  (What I am really
> > looking for is a discussion of the overall internals design of the smp
> > runtime structures, so that I can get a jump start on fixing these types
> > of thing myself.)
>
> Erlang-questions is a good place. Here there are lots of
> smart guys that not all read erlang-bugs and may
> have a clue.

In the hopes that someone on the list can give some insight into the
invariants maintained by the runtime while managing port instances, I
had the following question(s) about the erts_ports[] array maintained by
the runtime:

The code at the point of the SIGSEGV @ erl_bif_ddll.c:592 says:

        for (j = 0; j < erts_max_ports; j++) {
=>          if (!(erts_port[j].status &  FREE_PORT_FLAGS)
                && erts_port[j].drv_ptr->handle == dh) {

It appears that the code assumes that if the erts_port array entry being
evaluated during the search has a valid (non-zero) drv_ptr value, if the
entry is not marked as free.

So two question:
1) is whether the assumption built into this code is correct?
2) if so, is there missing synchronization that allows violating these
assumptions?.

I'd appreciate some insight into what could be going on here, and where
I should start looking.

--
paul