[erlang-questions] What level of bundling is correct for sharing code?

fess fess-erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jan 22 22:44:43 CET 2008

As a follow up, now that I better understand things,

What I was trying to ask how to bundle my rrdtool port, such that
someone who wanted to run more than one per node could reuse the
existing modules w/out the application start interface forcing a
particular way of running things on the user.

I believe that the answer to that is to make an application such that
application:start/1 starts up the simple case of one single Port,
anyone wanting to extend this application
can choose not to start via the application, and instead include it
in their own application which just starts the supervisor itself.

All this of course would require the supervisor, and all the call
interfaces to support multiple copies, such that they didn't rely on
a single registered name, which they don't. So for now I opted to
keep it simple, and I've re-released the whole thing as a simple
application which will startup one rrdtool Port.   Then if I or
someone else needs more rrd concurency than that, it can be added
later,  when I hopefully have an even better understanding of the
erlang environment.

--fess