[erlang-questions] "processor affinity" for processes

David King dking@REDACTED
Thu Jan 17 18:03:57 CET 2008

> but what if I want to run two Erlang nodes on on dual CPU machine?
> Will commands bellow work?
> ~/Desktop/tmp% erl -sname cpu1 +S 1
> ~/Desktop/tmp% erl -sname cpu2 +S 1
> Will each of them grab it's own CPU, or this will be left to the
> mercy of
> OS?

They will be left at the mercy of the OS. In reality, that's probably
better. The OS knows a whole lot more about what else is running on
the machine than Erlang does, and its scheduler is a much better place
to put things like cache-locality checking than in every program.