[erlang-questions] gen_fsm and active sockets

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Tue Jan 15 21:16:38 CET 2008

Hi Dave,

I'm not an Erlang guru, by any stretch of imagination, but here's my
take.

As far as I know, you can easily have a large number of processes,
even in the hundreds of thousands. Each process has a minimal memory
overhead, to the tune of a few hundred of bytes.  For 500K processes
you will need roughly 256-512MB of RAM.  If your processes are mostly
blocked waiting in their receive loops, the CPU consumption should be
constant.  This can be easily handled by any semi-decent server grade
machine.

Now look at it this way: I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but
if you're using permanent connections, such as TCP sockets, then it's
likely that you will run out of file descriptors before you run out
of process capacity.  So I would not be so much concerned about
doubling the number of processes in a scenario like option #1.  On
the other hand, with option #1, you increase the number of messages
moving in your system, which will up your CPU consumption (extra data
copies, extra GC activity).  Depending on your application and your
setup, this might or might not be a problem.

Anyways, that's just my $0.02.  It would be great if if anybody with
experience in these situations would like to comment

Cheers,
Mihai