[erlang-questions] Exception in xmerl, when pasing XML with non UTF8 character set

Zvi exta7@REDACTED
Mon Jan 7 20:52:00 CET 2008

XML generated by closed-source 3rd party Windows server (if it was generated
by me, then it was encoded in utf-8).
I asking here questions from Erlang domain, not the obvious & ugly common
sence solutions, like reading the entire file into memory, changing the
encoding string and only then feeding it into xmerl. (the problem only that
this XML can be quite big, like 0.5 MB and more).
Maybe xmerl has some option for forcing encoding, other than specified in
the <?xml?> PI?
Maybe there is some other XML parser like erlsom or expat driver, which
supports windows-1252 encoding?
Anyway I using xmerl just for prototyping, the long term solution will be to
write C++ port, which will be doing all the XML processing and return Erlang
terms in either text or binary form, which can be read either by
file:consult or binary_to_term on the Erlang side.

ZVi