[erlang-questions] Securely running code on an untrusted client

Travis Jensen travis.jensen@REDACTED
Mon Jan 7 20:22:56 CET 2008

Thanks for the reply, Ulf.  This seems like the inverse of what I want, if
I'm understanding it correctly.  This allows the client to run untrusted
code on the server, right?  What I want is to have the server run trusted
code on the client and be able to trust the result.

So, let me break it down a little more...

- Client connects to server.
- Server sends code to client
- Client runs process
- Clients sends result to server
- Server trusts client result

In the middle of this is the fact that I don't really trust the client, so I
would have to know that the result I get from the client is actually the
result of running the process I sent to the client and not the result of
some hack.  In general, there are two hack concerns: hacking the running
process to process differently and hacking the resulting data stream to give
a fake result.

I realize that this may be wishful thinking, but a month ago, having a
system that would scale significantly without introducing unbelievable
complexity into my code was also wishful thinking; then I found Erlang. :)

tj

--
Travis Jensen
travis.jensen@REDACTED