[erlang-questions] Conversion of string into Ascii values ??

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Thu Feb 28 12:50:07 CET 2008

http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/io.html#format-1

      ... It also tries to detect lists of printable characters and to
output these as strings...

w format description don't contain this feature.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Anthony Kong <anthony.hw.kong@REDACTED>
wrote:

> try "~p~n" instead.
>
> 2008/2/28 J Bhanot <j.bhanot@REDACTED>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In following code:
> >
> > add(Mymsg) ->
> >  io:format("jbss msg  ~w~n", [Mymsg]),
> >
> > when I am executing complex3:add(["abc"]).......where complex3 is my
> module
> > name.....
> >
> > I get the output as
> >
> > jbss msg  [97,98,99]........
> >
> > Why is it coverting abc in ascii value.....
> >
> > Is there a way in which I can get -
> >
> > jbss msg abc
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jb
> >
> >  ____________________________________________=====-----=====-----=====
> > Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
> > message and/or attachments to it may contain
> > confidential or privileged information. If you are
> > not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use,
> > review, distribution, printing or copying of the
> > information contained in this e-mail message
> > and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If
> > you have received this communication in error,
> > please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and
> > immediately and permanently delete the message
> > and any attachments. Thank you

> --
> /*--*/
> Don't EVER make the mistake that you can design something better than
> what you get from ruthless massively parallel trial-and-error with a
> feedback cycle. That's giving your intelligence _much_ too much
> credit.
>
> - Linus Torvalds

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil